Sunday 8 April 2007

Malaysian food

Hmm... I woke up late today. At about 10:15am and just remembered i need to get some fruits for Aunty Jenny and Uncle Peter. I actually wanted to buy then berries, just like the ones i had but safeway was CLOSED!!!

So i ended up buying chocolates instead. It's Easter anyway. And i saw Janet pack a box of choc for me cos it's Easter. I had to buy one back for her as well and let me tell you this. The chocs here are not cheap. They cost me a bomb. But no choice. I actually bought truffles and i seriously have no idea what truffles are nor do i know the difference. This incident really reminds me a lot of the movie Meet Joe Black. The eldest daughter was organising the party of the century for the father's birthday and she has to meet these cooks. One of them hate truffles, the other doesn't even know what truffles are. Haha. I fit in that category.
Yes they look different but what are the difference?

Anyway, that shop is famous for their truffles so what the heck.

I came back at about 11.30am and rushed like hell to get ready before Peter and Jenny come to pick me up. Well, my mom asked me to look good and be good. So i decided to wear this white dress i bought here for $10. And Janet thought it was very pretty and sweet. I was trying to give a good impression.

Peter and Jenny really came at 12pm sharp as they promised. They're very nice people. They came into the garden and wanted to meet Paul and Janet but they were too busy in the kitchen. Peter and Jenny thought they will come out to meet them and see who are actually bringing me out for lunch. But they didn't. Janet was busy preparing for the Easter Lunch they're having at a friend's place.

Peter drives a Mazda 6. Grey colour. Just like the one Perng had. The stay at Vermont South, which is a few suburbs away. Quite far. It is bouat 30mins on a Sunday drive. One straight road but it is a LONG road. If i were to take public transport it can take me up to 2 hours to reach. SO imagine the distance.

They talked to me and Jenny started to ask me if i know this lady Thoong Lay Chooi. I was like "WHAT?" That is my aunty in Subang, KL. My father's youngest sister. It seems that Peter is from Penang Free School and he know Uncle Hoy Yuen. My aunty's husband. So they met up with my aunty and they know each other. They even know my cousin sister, Shieh Ling. They met up last year in KL too. What a small world. Jenny saw my mom's name when Aunty Goo See forwarded mails to her. Aunty Goo See is Peter's sister and my mom's friend. She also saw the same name, Goh Sai Hong in the mails forwarded by my aunty. And with the same surname, rare surname, she had a hunch we're connected. So she asked. True enough, we are relatives.

I reached their house. It looks really nice, clean, cozy and quite big. They have a dog in the house, i m not sure what breed but it's the same as Lassie. The dog's name is Barney from the Flintstones. They thought that the dog looks like Barney. The dog is really cute and very friendly. I met up with all the children. Nick is the eldest, Sara the second and Becca the third. They're all working now. Becca is one year younger than me and Sara is my bro's age. I also met Sara's fiance, also Peter and Sam, Becca's bf. They're both OZs. Peter is actually very friendly and he is the one joking most of the time.

Peter and Jenny graduated from Swinburne as well. So did Sara. But all of them were in the Hawthorn campus. Small world.

They asked about me, what school i went to, my friends, my family, how my mom got to know Aunty Goo See. We talked about a lot of things.

I went to their house first, sat a while, talked then we went for Yum Cha. The dimsum was quite good. It wasn't that bad. After lunch, went back and talked again. Jenny started to cook but cos i was wearing white, she didn't allow me to help. She cooked curry chicken. She is so scared i'll get my dress dirty. They have a piano at home, so i asked who play. Sara learnt til Grade 4 then quit. Becca played a little. Then she asked if i do play. I said yes. She wanted me to play and entertain her but i have not played for so long and i can't remember that many songs. So was too shy to play. Hahahaha.

Jenny cooked chicken curry and Popiah. My fav. So dinner is popiah and curry chicken with roti canai. She even make Pulut Tai Tai. And Kaya. She is quite a good cook. She asked me what food i miss. I told her Laksa and she actually said she'll cook it for me the next time.

She finished her cooking early, so we sat down and watch movie. We watched the Banquet. It was quite a good movie but i had no idea who killed her in the end. We're both in suspense. I really like the song too. So did Peter. He didn't watch it with us but he heard the song and thinks it is a nice song.

Anybody has the song? Send it to me.

Dinner time. The popiah was good. The curry chicken was good too. I just miss Malaysian food and most of all....CHILLY~!!! Then she made some Japanese jelly called Konnyaku. It was very nice too. Dessert was Konnyaku, Apples, and Pulut Tai Tai. The Pulut is a bit soft but i like it that way. It was really good. I enjoyed dinner very much and she gave me 3 piece of popiah to take home. My lunch and breakfast tomorrow. Eat and Tapao back. How nice are they?

She even showed me the Konnyaku packing cos i love it so much. I must go find and make. Haha. They're really nice.

After dinner, we sat and talked talked talked. Pete, Sara's bf, was joking and telling us stories. He is taking up training and lessons to be an instructor in Kung Fu and Kick Boxing. He goes to Bangkok for training and other places too. He was telling us about his experience in Bangkok. He has been to Thailand a couple of times and he can speak quite good Thai. He was just telling us some of the terms he learnt and what happened there.

He was wearing this shirt with these words, " Faghedda bout it." Peter said it was from a movie. Anyway, when i say Pete, it's Sara's bf. That is what they call him. And Peter is actually the father and Jenny's husband.

Later, they left and Becca was out the whole time. She came back to change then went out again. I had a small chat with Nick and then Peter and Jenny sent me home.

They are really nice. They told me to ring them up if i need anything. If i have anything to ask or any trouble, just give them a call. Jenny is actually from Ipoh and they met in Swinburne. They have been staying in Melbourne for 37 years. Long time, huh?

Summary: I enjoyed both lunch and dinner, i enjoyed meeting them and i had a great day.

I hope everyone had a great Easter Sunday too.

Cheers.

5 comments:

Amane Chong said...

When i read the dog's name is BARNEY i thought it's the purple dino that your sis's daughter's favourite one nia.. =.="

Soo Yee said...

i know...
so did i...
hahaha...that is why i asked...

ahching said...

Oh no...i somemore used to kacau u with 'barney'~~^.^

Soo Yee said...

ahahahaha....very funny ching. makes me miss my niece even more...hahahahaha

ahching said...

i also want to cubik her cheeks ler...cute cute